Period: 1995-12-11 to 1999-10-29
Employer: State Insurance Limited
Employment type: Full Time Employee
Staff responsibilities: Training and development of new unit staff along with workflow management during this initial period.
1 Desktop Publisher when I assumed senior unit role in 1999.
Technology used: Mac IIci, PM 8100 and G3 Mini Tower computers
Principal software included Indesign1, Pagemaker 6-6.5, Freehand 5-9, Photoshop 3-5.5, Acrobat 3-4, MS Office 4-98
Secondary software included Quark 3.5-4, Illustrator 6, ClarisDraw, Strata 3D
Production equipment included Ricoh Aficio 6010 digital copier through Fiery XJ RIP and Ricoh Aficio 650 with network card and for a short while a Black magic RIP and HP plotter
Financial authority: Print purchasing authority and invoice payment approval - approx $250,000 pa (part of larger budget - of which I still played a part)
The DTP role at State Insurance expanded significantly while Martin was present, and many functions were added to both his position, and that of the unit. Starting at the bottom, Martin worked up to the senior slot in the unit before leaving. His role included the following functions:
- Provide in-house graphic design and DTP service
- Staff Training of new DTP staff
- Network support for PC users
- Workload management & reporting
- Print Management
- Mac network & hardware maintenance
- Mac - PC Integration as needed
- Print Purchasing/Management participation (part of 3 man team that saved over $1.2 million annually). Included pre-press procurement.
- Quality Assurance on print, external design & web based suppliers (such as CHHBF, Nicholson Print, Civic Press, Trenco, Cityprint, Walkers Advertising, Ocean Design)
- Participation in change Management team for corporate restructure
- Webmaster of State owned websites, including design work
- Technical consultant to business units on internet related matters and technology
- Member of Intranet Committee, and representing Marketing unit interests
- Relationship Management with internet suppliers (such as Clearview & Glazier) and participation in the print and pre-press suppliers.
- Development of Print and Electronic Corporate Guidelines
- Participation in developing Marketing Strategic Plan
- Development of Filemaker based workflow tracking and reporting system
- Provide design and print management services for various partner and client firms including Norwich Union Life and Investment Management, Bank of New Zealand, PSIS Limited, ASB Bank, BankDirect, HSBC, Crombie Lockwood, LGIC, Tysers, Economic Insurance Brokers, New Zealand Car Parts Limited and NZ Post.